Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fetuses For Obama

I know what you are thinking... you wish you knew where to go to hear a little more about the presidential race. Me too. There's plenty of born people going on and on about this subject, but there's only one opinionated, well informed, UNBORN blogger who believes in change as well.

This fetus believes in real change. I don't know if I'm a boy or girl, and I don't even know what race I am. Mother (whitey) Erin says I will be half Kimbo Slice, dad says he's fine with that. So, maybe I'll be an Oreo. Whatever.

But I know what I believe. I know that Americans continue to ride on a cloud of unfounded arrogance, based on the accomplishments of people who fought for a different freedom and worked in a completely different economy. I am going to be born into a world whose financial system is completely global. Moreover, its communication is global, and thus its culture is affected by that which all other countries do. While fairness, growth, hope, health, hunger and other very basic needs are realized around the world, every other country has the ability via the internet and TV to see Americans bicker and complain about the pettiest of things, like gas prices for our giant cars, minor unemployment issues, and a few tax dollars. They see us choose from our 200 tv channels which we charge to our credit cards, ditch our perfectly good stuff for bigger or smaller better stuff, cram our faces full with as much food as we can, and buy so much that we don't need. Meanwhile, the onlookers work for their next meal and realize that they have accepting pennies to provide us with all our unnecessary crap, and they are starting to realize they don't have to. They are demanding more from us and they're getting it. More advanced nations with greater wealth continue to work and find ways to live wisely within their means, watching us squander away our inherited well-being for the cheapest of thrills. What is worse and more annoying than watching a guy who inherited millions of dollars act like he earned it as he blows it? That is where we are and why I will be born into a completely spoiled place.

What I like about Obama is that he knows all this and he seems interested in changing it. I think he's smart enough to effectively work to show that the U.S. is growing and changing for the better. Electing him would be proof of that. There hasn't been a better time to get Americans to question our indulgence. As people are "squeezed" compared to the usual, and as we see more tv shows about people that really know what hard times are, we can't help but think that something isn't right. I think Obama can inspire people here to understand that we are addicted to superficiality and that we have to change. I may be one wrong fetus, but I think it will take somebody like Obama to divert our thoughts from the rampant capitalism that has driven us to having all the stuff we possibly can and inspire us to seek something larger and more meaningful. More than a political leader, we need a cultural and social leader. I think he will do fine with policy and everything else political, but I think he will do better with addressing our countries larger, more pressing issues of self-righteousness and entitlement. I can't say that about any other politician.

I hope his influence can start with my parents, whose house has more bedrooms than people and whose garage has a refrigerator just for beer. They talk a lot, but I'm looking for a little more action.

Fetus out.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

There does seem to be a shift in American fetus thinking that favors Obama. The initial polls showing fetus support for Hillary were probably nothing more than that worn out "special relationship between a mother and her unborn child" thing.

There is an excellent chance that my grandfetus will have real memories of Mr. Obama as president and that could serve as the basis for his/her progressive political awareness.

Tami said...

Ahhhh, just the kind of rhetoric I LOVE! What a bright baby you are! We are definitely indulging less over here (in many areas!)

Donnie said...

Tim, I really enjoy your friendship, regardless of our political and religious differences.

I have come to realize that you are indeed the funniest person I know, and funnier than me, which is hard to admit. This was the funniest blog entry by far.

I'm also really happy that you and Erin are having a kid, but you might want to have another soon so that they can cancel out my kids' votes.